Saving money as a student is one of the most important things for the majority. So what’s better than having these useful tips which will help you save a few extra pounds and you can spend them on what you like. Whether that be a relaxing spa day, a meal with friends or to buy a new electrical gadget.
Some of the ideas of saving money are based on general topics which every student may find useful.
- Firstly try not to buy brand new course books, you can save a lot by simply buying second hand, from websites such as amazon.co.uk, they also have an undergraduate section too, so it’s worth the look.
- Another option is to use the university and local libraries more. You can reserve books in advance and use any books which you may need now. This way it saves you buying the book, and you can return it when finished.
- A big money saver is to buy a young person’s railcard. It costs £30 for the year but will save you 1/3 off every rail journey within the UK
- Buy a bike, once you have bought it, it is entirely free to use. It help keeps you fit, gets you to and from places and saves you money, you could even cancel that gym membership you might have.
- First tip would be to buy frozen food. You can be anything frozen, from burgers and ready meals, to frozen veg and frozen fruit as well as frozen chicken, pork and lamb etc. Buying frozen will last you much longer and is cheaper to buy.
- Try sharing food costs with flat mates, and then come up with a rota so everyone can chip in and help with the shopping and the cooking. Buying in bulk always works out cheaper.
- Lastly you can sign up to mysupermarket.co.uk and immediately save up to 20%.
Watching your pennies when going out can save you a substantial amount of money as many companies charge a lot of money for their extras.
- Let’s take the cinemas for example, the best way to save money when going to watch a movie is to take your own food and drink in a bag. On average this will save you £8/£10 a visit.
- Or if you’re going out to a night club, then how about creating your own cocktails from home, and have a few pre drinks with friends before you hit the town. Always remember to take advantage of websites such as co.uk, and wowcher.co.uk, these daily deal sites will save you money on activities and days out.
Don’t forget to check back for our new posts, we like to keep you updated.